The following is a list of 5 things you can do this Earth Day – and every day – to conserve water and energy, reduce waste and lower emissions:
- Use sleep mode. Enable the power-management settings on your computers and office equipment so they shift to sleep mode when not in use.
- Shine a light. Replace lamps with high-efficiency fluorescent lights, extending their lifetime, significantly reducing energy, and producing more light per watt.
- Adjust thermostats. Avoid wasted energy by adjusting temperatures at night and on weekends when your facility is unoccupied.
- Conserve water. Water landscaping at night when it is more effective and consider using moisture-sensing controls. Install low-flow toilets and check for leaks in faucets.
- Team up. Start a Green Team to reduce waste and increase energy efficiency. For more information, check out Bring Your Green to Work from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Newsletter, April 2013, Volume 3, Issue 12